Who we are
Controlled Thermal Processing, Inc. has been very active in research and development in the cryogenic processing field.
We have Successfully Cryogenically Treated Many METALS such as Iron, Titanium, Inconel, Aluminum, Tool Steels and Carbides
We build the most efficient Cryo-processing machines available on the market.
A Leader in Cryogenic Processing Controlled Thermal Processing, Inc. is a leader in cryogenic processing and cryogenic treatment of metals. From their four locations across the United States, CTP uses state-of-the-art cryogenic equipment to help businesses and consumers alike improve the quality and increase the lifespan of everything from brake rotors and boat propellers to […]
Cryogenic Treatment Figure 1: Typical Cryogenic Treatment Cooling Curve. Image: Republished with permission of ASM International, from ASM Handbook, Vol 4A, F. Diekman, “Cold & Cryogenic Treatment of Steel,” 2013; permission conveyed through Copyright Clearance Center, Inc. Cryogenic treatment is the process of cooling materials to cryogenic temperatures temporarily to improve their material properties at […]
Read Full Article>
Using More of the Temperature Range Cryogenic Processing of Metals is also known as Deep Cryogenic Treatment, DCT for short. DCT is an effective means of increasing industrial plant efficiency, increasing quality, and making products superior to competing products and making components perform better and last longer. DCT is a process that helps finish the […]
Read Full Article>
If you are looking for a technical explanation of Deep Cryogenic Treatment of Metals(or Deep Cryogenic Processing or Deep Cryogenic Tempering) stop reading. This is for the layman or the person who just wants to know the basics. Believe me, the basics are complicated enough as I will quickly demonstrate.
Read Full Article>
Racing pushes engine and drive train components to the abs- solute limits of their durability . Extending those limits means more speed, better safety, and more races won. For this reason cryogenic processing is becoming a necessary part of the manufacturing process for racing components.
Read Full Article>
What is Cryogenic
There are no “official” definitions of the term cryogenic processing. Controlled Thermal Processing (CTP) considers the definition of the process to be: “The modification of a material or component using cryogenic temperatures.” Cold Treatments generally only go down to temperatures of 178ºK (-140ºF, -96ºC). Cryogenic treatments have been found to offer performance over and above […]
The Best Cryogenic Processing and Thermal Processing Services
For over thirty years, Controlled Thermal Processing, Inc. has been a leader in Cryogenic Treatment and thermal processing of metals and specialized plastics. CTP uses state-of-the-art cryogenic equipment to help industrial clients and consumers alike significantly improve the lifespan and quality of everything from stamping dies to brake rotors.
Whether you’re looking to relieve residual stress on your brake rotors, improve conductivity of circuit boards and create superior sound reproduction in audio equipment, or increase the wear-resistance of industrial machine components. Our proprietary Cryo Processing optimizes the structure of Steels and Alloys, Gray Iron, Aluminum, Titanium and other metal and plastics to reduce wear, save downtime, and increase efficiency, boosting your profits.
From our four locations across the United States CTP can offer its services coast-to-coast. Contact us today to learn more about the incredible benefits of cryogenically treating your metals.
Get Your Quote Today
Offering Services Nationwide
Our multiple locations allow us to offer these services coast to coast:
- Cryogenic processing of metals and plastics for optimal performance
- Metallurgical consulting to improve tool use and efficiency
- Partnering with manufacturers to produce and market superior products
- Micro-Polishing of gear components
- Liquid Helium processing at temperatures down to -450ºF
- Cryogenic equipment sales
A Process That Works
We provide phenomenal results by supporting and applying decades worth of research in the field of cryo processing. The United States Army, Nasa, University of Texas, and the Illinois Institute of Technology have all partnered with us over the years, and we’re proud of the advances we’ve made. By driving the leading edge of technology in the field, we ensure neither we nor our clients are left behind.
- In transportation, cryogenic treatment has become the secret weapon of champion race car drivers and automotive enthusiasts alike. Blocks and components that have undergone cryo processing show marked improvement over the competition.
Off the track, the benefits have been just as great in extending the service life of springs, rotors, and drums.
- Industrial manufacturing requires tight specifications, and recalls and downtime can eat into profits. That’s why more operations managers are turning to cryogenic processing to give their plants the ability to run longer with fewer changes to dies and tooling.
By increasing wear-resistance in gears, hobs, and dies, you can significantly lower maintenance costs as treated parts last longer for more uptime during heavy production runs.
- Marine environments are hard on metals. Whether salt or fresh water, boat motors are often under as much stress as a land vehicle’s engine. Cryo processing of boat motor parts can be just as valuable as any other motor application, but in high-performance racing props, where high-horsepower meets water, cryogenic treatment is vital to combat the immense stresses.
- Cryogenic treatment of electronics and audio equipment has been proven to increase the life and conductivity of electronic components, often refining their attributes for better performance. It has been shown to increase the sound quality of stereo equipment with expected results far outweighing the cost.
Even with musical instruments, empirical evidence has shown a superior sound quality can be achieved simply by cryo processing key components—as showcased by this Yamaha saxophone, which gained two octaves after being cryogenically treated.
Get Your Estimate
A Positive Impact On Your Bottom Line
Whether your project is big or small, large machine parts or brake rotors for your vehicle, we can tailor a cryogenic treatment for you. Call us today at 818-445-3030 or reach out through our contact page to get a free estimate, and to learn more about how you can start improving your parts through cryo processing, and making an impact on your bottom line.
Contact Us Today